Coffs Coast Community Radio Incorporated's (2AIR FM’s) Sponsorship Policy
Under the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 (BSA) community broadcasters are not permitted to broadcast ‘advertising’. Sponsorship, however, is permitted and this is akin to a limited form of advertising.
The BSA outlines two key requirements of a sponsorship announcement:
- Sponsorship content will be limited to five minutes in any hour (BSA Sch 2, Part 5 clause 9 (3))
- Every sponsorship announcement will be clearly "tagged" (BSA Sch 2, Part 1, clause 2 (2)(b)).
In line with Code 6 of the Community Radio Broadcasting Codes of Practice (the Codes) 2AIR FM will make sure that:
- sponsorship will not be a factor in determining access to broadcasting time,
- editorial decisions affecting the content and style of individual programs are not influenced by program or station sponsors, and
- editorial decisions affecting the content and style of overall station programming are not influenced by program or station sponsors.
Further information on sponsorship requirements is available See ACMA’s Community Broadcasting Sponsorship Guidelines 2008
The purpose of this policy is to ensure compliance with the BSA and the Codes and also to give clear direction on 2AIR FM’s ethos toward sponsorship.
- All sponsorship announcements will comply with the three key sponsorship conditions outlined above.
- All sponsorship arrangements shall be recorded on a standard contract and approved by the station manager or person responsible.
- Sponsorship will not be accepted from companies that promote tobacco or gambling.
- Sponsorship from companies promoting alcohol may be accepted, however the announcements must not:
- Promote the misuse of alcohol, or
- be directed towards minors.
- Sponsorship will not be accepted from individuals or groups whose policies or practices are inconsistent with the general directions of 2AIR FM.
- Sponsorship announcements will be produced and presented in a style and form consistent with the program inwhich they are to be placed.
- Individual presenters and members are not entitled to seek sponsorship on behalf of 2AIR FM without the written consent of the Board.
- Under no circumstances can presenters accept gifts, products or services or payments in return for promotion of a product, service or business.
- 2AIR FM reserves the right to refuse any paid announcement.
Download a printable version of this policy here.
|© Coffs Coast Community Radio Inc. 2014|